Somewhere between Chengdu and Chongqing the two biggest city in Sichuan region, lays a city named Langzhong. Used to be the capital of ancient Ba Kingdom, the nostalgic atmosphere from the old times still can be felt here. Amidst of the growing city surrounded it, Langzhong ancient town still preserves the remaining parts from history.
Langzhong ancient town in a sight
The thing about China is, there are dozens or probably hundreds of ancient town across country. However, four of them crowned the title of Four Greatest Ancient Town in China, one of them is Langzhong.
It’s convincing enough to attract people to visit. Luckily at least for now, not many people know about the existence of Langzhong Ancient Town especially foreigners.
Locals swarm here on weekend but weekdays remain peaceful. Although parts of the old town are filled up with souvenir shops, you can just walk randomly till few blocks and you’ll find quiet alleys and corners.
Kids running around, elderly watching people passing by, these are the normal things you might see here.
Actually, I didn’t really do much here. I was here with three new friends that I just met than we basically just walked and walked around the old town.
I did climb to the famous landmark of the old town, Zhongtian or also called as Sipai Tower. This four-storied tower has the wood structure. From the top floor the view of Langzhong Ancient Town with its special layout of houses comes to eyes.
Another sightseeing in Langzhong Ancient Town is the City Wall and Zhang Fei Temple. Sometimes one or two man in warrior costume pose in front of the gate and offer photos opportunity to tourists.
The river next to the old town is beautiful to stroll around. The square is busy during weekend where locals gather and do activities such as dancing or playing music.
We went to the White Pagoda which is located out of the old town. The view from the top is beautiful, with the whole city view and Jialing River. There’s also a temple near the pagoda.
Walking the city around night time is also interesting. Again near the square you will see some older people dancing as well. This thing is pretty common in China, they call it square dance.
Also Read: Andong, Hahoe Folk Village
Tips to visit Langzhong Ancient Town
- From Chengdu you can take fast train from the east railway station. Fast train takes 2h30min and cost RMB 95. Slow train departs from the north railway station, 3h20min to Langzhong and cost only RMB 49.50.
- There are more trains from Chongqing to Langzhong. By fast train is only 2 hours and cost RMB 90. The slower train takes around 4 hours and cost about RMB 40-50.
- There’s a city bus to take you to the old town from the train station. Taxi won’t cost that much as well since it’s only about 15 minutes away.
- Some sightseeing spots require entrance fee.
- It’s better to stay in the old town. You can experience staying in the old house and will be easier for you to walk around. Langzhong Ancient Town Qinyou Inn has a good review. Airbnb has several good options as well.
Traveled in 25 – 26 October 2018
If you think this post is useful, kindly share the information by clicking the logo below. You’ll be directed to your facebook or twitter.